Monday, August 26, 2013

Red Light District running, Jordaan exploration, Canals tour, Torture Museum

I'm exhausted!

Up at 6:15 AM (12 AM Toronto time) because I had this romantic notion of going for a run in the Red Light District (which is near our apartment). In the wee hours of the morning, when all the sinners have gone home, the area has that innocent, village-y feel.  I also added a few kilometers along the Amstel river to boot.

I kinda felt out of shape even though I've run religiously for more than two years now. I am going out on a limb and will say that it may be the cobblestones plus all the hills along the way. Yeah... that's it.  And maybe also the jet lag slash time difference. I'm full of excuses today.

My run was followed by my usual long stretch and we finally made it outside the door around 11 AM.

Today we explored the Jordaan district - a very quaint part of Amsterdam, east of the Red Light District. Reminded me of Greenwich village in New York. I wanted to check out the flea market there but turned out we were a bit too late (we stopped for lunch first) so we just window shopped and checked out a few antique stores.

Lunch today was at a cafe along the Pinsengracht, one of the five major canals along the Canal belt. Greggy had schnitzel and I had steak frites and a delicious chocolate milk shake. Yummmm....

I wanted to check out Anne Frank Huis (house) where Anne and her family hid during the Nazi occupation of Amsterdam in WW II before they were betrayed by neighbours and arrested by those nice friendly Nazis.  I knew the line to get in was going to be uber long as most travel books mentioned.... sure enough it was. I asked Greggy who would line up for places cause I certainly won't. I'll find a VIP pass or something before I go somewhere I really want to check out (like the Vatican). So no Anne Frank Huis for us today although we could have waited until 6 PM and the crazies would all be gone. But I don't like waiting either.

So....

We hopped onto one of those touristy canal boat taxi thingys which was hate at first sight for me.... but had to be practical and wanted to be on the canals so I relented. The boat took us along some of the most picturesque canals in Amsterdam and 1 hour later we got off at the Golden Belt, by the Herengracht where the richest merchants in the 1400s-1600s or so used to live. I want to live there.

On our way home we passed by the floating Flower Market and more importantly, the Torture Museum! It was of course very kitschy but still fascinating. The tools that were used back then give new meaning to "I'm gonna get medieval on your ass..." They were surreal, who thinks of these things? Were there torturer sadist architects designing them? Did he or she think "Hmmm.... it will really really hurt if we put spikes on a chair and then slowly tighten up the metal bit until she admits she's a witch."  Or "Maybe hanging 40 lbs weights on each leg while he straddles a pointy wooden bench will be a good time...."

Back at the apartment, I relaxed for an hour and then cooked. Yes, cooked!  The simplest ingredients here elevates home cooking to a new level. We had the best burger crusted with jalapeno and shwarma meat with  shredded lettuce salad and garlic aoli. I am convinced we need a gas stove / oven at home. I will have to work on Greggy to agree with me on this.... will have to use jedi mind tricks.

I'm really tired so have kept this short and will head to bed soon.

Tomorrow - Paris! Another Jason Bourne location and I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment