Monday, October 11, 2010

Of guilt, shame, and pork chops

Now that I have lifted my self-imposed 10-year meat ban, I feel a bit liberated.

But I also felt (feel?) somewhat ashamed, embarassed that I was eating meat. I felt it was wrong and dirty, like it should be a secret. I guess after years of being vegetarian was a behaviour, a part of me. I even felt somewhat..... superior...... to others who have no self-control about the food they eat. I wore the vegetarian label like it was a designer handbag or a really expensive coat.

My dad always forgot that I stopped eating meat. He loves me and like my mom (and like me) he shows his love through food. When my parents come by our house they will always have some sort of food from somewhere to leave with us or eat while they are here.

They are like these loving food pimps!

My dad would always say "hey, have some of this <insert anything with meat>" and I would say, "Dad, we're (my husband and I) are vegetarians remember? We don't eat meat?" and he always said "why don't you eat meat? This is why you are cold all the time... eat meat so you don't feel weak." Then I would reply "you should try being a vegetarian" and my mom would interject and say, "ooohhhhhh we can't live without meat."

After eating fried chicken on Sunday September 19, 2010 my daughter and I went on a meat shopping spree........ it was a bit like an adventure for me, I had not bought meat for myself for a while now (for my daughter yes), but never for me nor my husband.

My meat loot included a club pack of pork chops (bone in).


I marinated the pork chops in garlic tamari soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, lawry's seasoning salt, kosher salt, pepper, grain mustard, President's Choice Bold Steakhouse BBQ Sauce. Let it marinate for atleast 30 minutes (overnight is best).

Being a Food Network afficionado, I learned a great deal about how to cook meat (even though I didn't eat meat for the last 10 years). You are supposed to sear the porkchops first on both sides to get that golden brown caramelized look. Then off to the oven it goes to finish cooking. Don't overcook the chops of course, that would be a sin. Cook it enough so you don't get food poisoning but never ever cook it too well done otherwise it'll be too dry and gross.

I did it backwards. First I cooked the chops in the oven at 400 degrees C for 20 minutes, then finished it off in the frying pan with a bit of EVOO. Let it sit for 5 minutes before eating to keep the moist delicious juices inside. Finish with a splash of lemon juice before serving.

My husband,and I ate pork chops together for the first time on September 25, 2010 and boy.... they were super tasty! I made a salad using organic baby greens, goats cheese, and Renee's Greek Feta salad dressing, pickles, President's Choice Stuffed Olives, Callipo Italian Tuna and used President's Choice Steak Sauce as the pork chop condiment of choice.

After my husband went to bed, I ate more pork chops while watching Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

Then the next morning, I had left over pork chops and poached eggs for brunch.

The week after, my parents stopped by on a Sunday night, after church and before driving home to Stoney Creek.

"Mom, Dad, I have something to tell you."

"Oh my god, what?"

"I started eating meat again last week. I feel very guilty about it."

"Well, you shouldn't."

No comments:

Post a Comment