Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Love Letter to Passport Canada

So I mentioned on a previous post that my daughter and I are renewing our passports for our upcoming Roman adventure.

Passport Canada offers a Simple Renewal Process Application Process which promises that you will get your renewed passport within 10 days, provided that you pass all the requisite criteria, of course.

I don't know about you, but I'm generally leary of government agencies and such, so in my heart I was *hoping* that they will keep the promise of said 10-day turn-around time... but with me being a Project Manager and all, I tend to question (verify) the validity and probability of meeting certain deliverables and timelines committed to me by anyone (this goes for work and non-work stuff).

That being said, I started feeling a bit panicky that Passport Canada is just pulling my chain (or is it leg?) as their deadline of sending me the brand spanking new passports is October 14 (I completed the application process on September 30). I even set a reminder calendar event for myself to check on the status this week.

Anyway, I initiated a Google search using "check passport status Canada", which redirected me to a site that points to the Request Status of Application section in the Passport Canada site.

Almost laughing to myself, I again doubted that I would get the information that I needed. I just want to get my new passports in the timeframe that was promised (10 days). I filled out all the mandatory fields anyway, and submitted the query (I did that at 9AM EST this morning / today). 

Then I forgot about it, until I got this in my inbox:

Your passport was sent to you by Xpresspost on October 6th, 2010.  The Canada Post item number is XXXXXXXXXXXX. You can track the delivery of your passport at www.canadapost.ca.

Wow!!! I was so shocked and happy!

BUT going one step further, I went to the Canada Post website and did a query using the tracking number I received, and got this:

------------------------------


Tracking Number
XXXXXXXXXX

Please note that this is the most up-to-date information available in our system. Our telephone agents have access to the same information presented here.

Track Status


Date Time LocationDescriptionRetail LocationSignatory Name
2010/10/1214:58xxxxxxxxxItem available for pickup at Post Office

Track History

Date Time LocationDescriptionRetail LocationSignatory Name
2010/10/1214:58xxxxxxxxxItem available for pickup at Post Office

2010/10/1210:17xxxxxxxxxItem being prepared for transfer to Post Officexxxxxxxxx
2010/10/08AMxxxxxxxxxAttempted delivery. Notice card left indicating where item can be picked up.

2010/10/0808:45xxxxxxxxxItem out for delivery

2010/10/0715:24OTTAWAItem arrived at postal facility


Shipping Options and Features for this Item
Signature Required

------------------------------

I took it one more step further and called Canada Post @ 1-866-607-6301 to validate the status.

Much to my astonishment, a real 'live' human government agent confirmed the above. In addition, she gave me the Delivery Notice Card Number (because I didn't get the Notice Card on October 8 contrary to the status above) and you know what???

My passports are at the Post Office ready for pick-up. She even gave me the address of the P.O. and their HOO (Hours of Operation) and told me to bring valid ID.

Happy happy joy joy.

Thank you Passport Canada, for not reneging on your promise.

XOXOXO
EDM-R

No comments:

Post a Comment